Tuesday, June 22, 2010

TWD: Dressy chocolate loaf cake


Some of Dorie's recipes have funny names, don't they? I love loaf cakes, but dressy and chocolate don't really do it for me. I do have some chocolate-loving friends, though, and they were helping me to move yesterday, so dressy chocolate loaf cake it was! What gussies this cake up is that it's cut into 3 layers and  sandwiched with jam. I used sour cherry jam, thinned with Amaretto. The frosting is a simple mixture of melted chocolate and sour cream. I used a mix of milk chocolate and 72% dark chocolate in the interest of using up what was left in my cupboard.

This was a really quick and easy cake to mix, which was a relief after the wedding cake marathon. I added some vanilla and upped the salt, as I find many of the recipes in the book could use a bit more. Some had trouble with this overflowing the pan, so I only filled the pan about ½ to ⅔ full and it rose just to the top. With the extra I filled a couple of ramekins. I think I'm going to have to break down and get a muffin pan one of these days, because I keep ending up with gigantic cupcakes. And eating them.
This is the one I taste-tested inhaled, so I used a different frosting. Chocolate cake I can do, but with chocolate icing too, no. Mixed with sour cream? Nope. So, I had some very sweet white icing in the freezer that was actually leftover Oreo filling, from this fun day. I thinned it with a bit of cream and slathered it on. Yum. Cleaning out the freezer was on my list, so this wasn't just idle procrastination from packing. I think this is why I've been 'almost finished' for 3 days. I'm sure some of you are rolling your eyes, but not only am I not a chocoholic, but I hate sour cream. I won't go into great detail about all the reasons I don't like it, but ick. It does make great cakes, though. I sometimes replace it with yogurt, which I love, love, love, but I wanted the richness here, and I wasn't sure yogurt would work for the frosting. 


I don't have a picture of the finished cake to post because it looked like a big brown blob. Maybe when I slice it and have internet again I'll add one. I'm writing this on Sunday night and the move is tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be sound asleep and all my stuff will be in its new home (storage) when this posts. :)

Thanks a lot to Amy Ruth from Amy Ruth Bakes for choosing this recipe. It was one I definitely would have passed over, and that would have been a shame. Check out the rest of the TWDers here.

35 comments:

Flourchild said...

Yum all of the goodies look so good!

Unknown said...

Love the last pic, hope the move went well

Beryl said...

I made my cupcakes the same way you did. Yours look great.
Also, I used your graham cracker recipe this weekend for key lime ice cream sandwiches and got rave reviews. Thanks!

Judy said...

I didn't have any overflow issues, so wasn't able to make cupcakes. I may have to just make cupcakes with this batter, though, after seeing yours. Hope the move went well.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Love that you added amaretto. The different views are delightful. Variety is the spice of life.

Bella Baker said...

The cake and the giant ramekin cupcake both look superb!! Yum!!!!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

this looks great with the white icing--yum! and i'm sure your friends appreciated the bigger loaf!

Valérie said...

Wow, that first picture has me drooling! So much chocolatey goodness!

TeaLady said...

Look just right to me. Love the last one. Looks comfortable, messy (in the best way) and delicious.

Tia said...

simply perfect layers

Pamela said...

Delicious looking pictures...all of 'em!

Anne said...

Oh yum- that chocolaty cake looks so great! Especially the first picture- I just want a spoonful of the frosting!

Awesome job on the wedding cake, too- what a project!

AmyRuth said...

You are one busy girl and no worries as far as I can see I would totally eat that ahum, cake either one. So happy you could utilize stuff on board. Really smart.
Thanks for baking along with me this week.
Good luck with getting all settled in your new place. Hope you get a breather.
AmyRuth

Unknown said...

yum!

Anonymous said...

It looks great with the white frosting!

Unknown said...

Yum sour cherry and chocolate! Sounds great!

Paula said...

The first picture is so cool! What a great way to show off the layers and the frosting. I used yogurt instead of sour cream in the cake and I think it turned out fine. But I was scared to do it with the frosting.

Jessica said...

I think your icing choice sounds fantastic! I loved the chocolate sour cream frosting because it covered up my wonky cake layers, but I thought it was a bit much myself. I ate around it! I love your big cupcake stuffed with jam and that lovely white icing on top. It looks so good!

Di said...

I love the first picture. =) Your cakes look great. And I hope the move went smoothly.

mike said...

What a wonderful collection of "dressed up" goodies. Beautiful! I think yogurt and sour cream are so alike - especially in baked goods - frosting too! Great choice!

mike
TWD blog:
web.me.com/mikejdunlap

Jencrafted said...

Looks wonderfully moist and chocolaty! Miam miam!!

Cakelaw said...

Love your variations to this recipe - I could lick the frosting right off the top of that cupcake.

Carol Peterman/TableFare said...

Your in-process photo showing the layers of cake is gorgeous. I hope your move went well!

Anonymous said...

Your cake looks delicious! Great icing ideas!

Lynne Daley said...

I missed this one as I am on holiday at the beach this week and next, but I wish I could have made it. Amazing that you can bake a cake in the midst of a move! You cake looks delicious!

Heather Davis said...

Looks very edible! Especially with the white frosting.

Laurie {Simply Scratch} said...

Ill take some dressy chocolate loaf cake please!!!

Marthe said...

Both versions look really good to me!!

Valerie Gamine said...

It's impossible to look at these photos and not hear a stomach rumble. That white frosing makes me want to a spoon to the screen!

Piggy said...

I'm not so much of a chocolate cake lover too, and I will definitely try using white icing next time. I'm sure your cake tastes great!

Erin said...

Love your cake variations! I hope your move went well...I'm sure your movers were pleased with their sweet treat!

Eva said...

That looks so good. I am a total cake-a-holic. Yum!

RamblingTart said...

Mmm, the frosting is what's got me today! It looks just fabulous!! :-)

Ms. Meanie said...

Wow Mary! That cake really looks amazing. Unlike you, I am a serious chocoholic and I would have completely devoured it. Love how you filled those cupcakes too. Ramekin-sized is the perfect size for cupcakes this delicous! :)

Mimi said...

Your cake looks amazing. Hope the move went smoothly.
Mimi