Friday, March 26, 2010

Lemon yogurt cake

Hi! Welcome to my new, or at least, slightly updated look. What do you think? Really? Thanks! Or not...

This cake seems to be everywhere on the blogosphere these days, and with good reason. It's moist and has a strangely addictive texture--spongy yet melt-in-your-mouth tender. I much prefer sponge cake to pound cake, which I often find too dense. I added some lemon zest and topped it with a simple lemon juice and icing sugar glaze, cause I'm taking it to the same lemon-loving kids that got the thumbprint cookies
I have a handwritten (imagine!) recipe for this from the late 90s. It was given to me by a food-obsessed student from France. Unfortunately I've lost touch with her, but I still make the cake. Well, except that her recipe calls for measuring the ingredients in the little yogurt pots and I buy my yogurt in giant tubs. So, I just use this recipe from Epicurious, though there are many others. The only changes I make are to beat the eggs and sugar until they are thick and light before adding the rest of the wet ingredients, including the oil. I usually reduce the oil a bit, to ⅓ cup or so, and sometimes use melted butter instead. I do find that it always takes longer than the specified 50-minute baking time, so expect it to take an hour or so, unless it's just my oven. Oh, and I've never used the marmalade glaze. I usually just boil lemon juice and sugar together and pour it over the cake. I just thought the icing sugar glaze was more kid-friendly (and by that I mean sweeter). This cake keeps well, but you'll find yourself cutting a slice every time you pass by it. No worries--it only takes a few minutes to whip up another. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

yum! i made this recently and LOVE it! had some this morning :)

oonsky said...

First, Love this cake - I can almost smell it! Second, love the updated look and the imprints - so cool! Can't wait to see the DB challenge too.
Cheers!

Ms. Meanie said...

I've tried Ina Garten's version of this cake, and it was very good. Yours looks lovely as well. I like the new look of the site too!

Valérie said...

I love lemon cake! This one looks divine, love the texture!

marla {family fresh cooking} said...

Your blog is wonderful! Love your banner, very creative. This lemon pound cake sounds fabulous.....I prefer it to sponge cake any day! The richer the better.