Sunday, January 30, 2011

Vanilla panna cotta on clementine Amaretto gelée

Does gelée sound like the most pretentious thing ever? Maybe, but it sounds a hell of a lot better than Jell-O. I could have called it jelly, but isn't that something you spread on toast? Gelatin just doesn't sound very appetizing. Whatever you call it, this is a super easy and delicious dessert. It's summery and refreshing, but uses one of winter's most popular fruits. And it only takes a few minutes to make.

Clementine gelée layer
1 cup freshly squeezed, strained clementine juice (I used 7 clementines)
1-2 tablespoons Amaretto
¾ teaspoon powdered gelatin*
Panna cotta layer
1 cup light cream or heavy cream ( I used mostly whole milk with some cream)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste (or more Amaretto)
¾ teaspoon powdered gelatin*
  1. For the clementine layer: Pour ¼ cup juice into a small saucepan and sprinkle 1 teaspoon gelatin over the top. Let stand a few minutes, then heat over medium-low heat, stirring, until gelatin is completely dissolved. Add the rest of the juice and the Amaretto. Divide amongst 4 small ramekins or pretty glasses (¼ cup in each). Refrigerate for 2 hours, or until set.
  2. For the panna cotta layer. Pour ¼ cup cream and the sugar into a small saucepan and sprinkle 1 teaspoon gelatin over the top. Let stand a few minutes, then heat over medium-low heat until the gelatin is dissolved. Add the rest of the cream and the vanilla and carefully pour over the clementine layer. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours, or overnight. 
  3. Serve with some candied orange peel or a cookie. Makes 4 small ramekins.
*This is enough gelatin to give a very soft, wobbly set, but not enough that you can turn the dessert out onto a plate. If you'd like to do that, use 1 teaspoon of gelatin for each layer and then refrigerate overnight. 

    11 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Beautiful and love the flavour.

    Laurie {Simply Scratch} said...

    Oh Mary! You've done it again! This looks beautifully delicious!

    A Canadian Foodie said...

    Where are you finding your clementines...? I was at the Italian Centre Shop - then at Superstore today - and neither had them... they are rare in Edmonton. I knwo I could use another orange - but I do love the Clementine - and you said the recipe was easy - it sounds like it - but I knwo the garnish takes time. I love it and it makes your presentation. What beauty. Seasonal winter sunshine. I am on it when I find them in the store. (Right next to the passion fruit for less than 5 dollars each!!)
    :)
    Valerie
    Oh - I am teasing!

    Mary said...

    Valerie, you're right--the candied orange peel did take a while to make! I made a quart jar of it in December, for a stollen I never made. By using one strip to garnish everything, it'll last me till next December!
    Strange that you haven't got clementines--they're in all the stores here still.

    cocoa and coconut said...

    This does look very refreshing! I love the colours you've used. The orange really contrasts against that perfect white panna cotta.

    Evelyne CulturEatz said...

    Very refreshing and very light on calories too. Just a jelly for dessert I find boring but topped with a panna cotta really does the sweet trick!

    Sandy - Everyday Southwest said...

    What a great flavor combination! I have to admit it... I love jell-o by any name. I love the "grown up" flavors you chose.

    Great job on the Jan. Daring Baker's Challenge!

    yummychunklet said...

    This looks delicious! Especially with the Amaretto in the gelee!

    RamblingTart said...

    It is super pretentious and I LOVE it! :-) It makes the dessert seem extra special and wonderful. :-)

    Anonymous said...

    Lovely dessert, I admire your candied peel too! I don't have a problem calling the bottom layer jelly because growing up we never refer to Jell-O by its brand name, just jelly and the toast spread was just jam. :)

    Robyn Clarke said...

    Looks fantastic, my mouth is watering!