Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Raspberry shortbread, or maybe cake?

  • I don't love cranberries.
  • I don't need a big, possibly dry cookie thing hanging around.
  • I haven't got any soft butter.
  • It gets dark just after 4:00, thanks to Daylight Savings, or Standard Time, or whatever it is. I am living in the wrong place to take photos after work.
  • My oven is horrible.
These were just some of the excuses I came up with for not doing this week's recipe.
  • And why do cranberries have to be in everything at this time of year?
That was just me whining a bit.
Then I got over it, softened accidentally melted some butter, and perused my jam cupboard. I have half a dozen types of homemade jam, but decided to make a quick raspberry sauce to keep with the red theme. I added the zest and juice of an orange, some sugar and boiled it till it thickened a bit. I quartered the recipe and made 2 little cakes. I ate one right away, and it was good, even though it got a bit too dark around the edges, and the 'jam' was too runny to fit much in the crust. I may have to experiment with other types of jam. But not cranberry--you turkey lovers can have it. You know you're going to need it.
Thanks for the pick, Jessica! I'm glad I got over myself and made it. :)
Oh, and there's an interview with Dorie on Leite's Culinaria. Check it out. Here's the link.

22 comments:

Laurie {Simply Scratch} said...

I agree about the sunlight issue... It gets dark here around 5-5:30... But these do look very yummy!

Katrina said...

That's some good talkin' in your head. Tanya at Chocolatechic doesn't like cranberries either. I think raspberries sound yummy and your pictures are great.

Valerie Gamine said...

Your mini-cakes are adorable!
And I agree with you about cranberries, I can't seem to figure out what everyone loves about them?
At least we have rhubarbs, lemons and raspberries to take care of out need for something tart. :)

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Glad you played around an made this even though you didn't want to. I would have used some of your excuses too! :)

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Raspberries sounds like a good alternate and you did keep it red. I went with blueberries.

It is hard when you fight a recipe and it is wonderful when it turns out, as good as this one, has.

chocolatechic said...

LOLOL!

I love it!

I won't be doing next weeks because of the cranberries...

Jacque said...

I like these recipes where you can customize it to your own tastes. Raspberries would be awesome with this. Looks terrific!

Cindy said...

Raspberries sound good. This recipe was delicious. Because it is filled with fruit I ate it for breakfast. Have a happy day. The time change bugs me--it's dark around 5. Makes for difficult picture taking. Have a happy day anyway!

RamblingTart said...

I DO like cranberries, but I love that you used raspberries instead. :-) Such cute little cakes! :-) Makes me want to go home and bake something. :-)

Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz said...

Love the shortbread/cake even with all the difficulties. hate when we go back to regular daylight Savings Tie, urgh

Unknown said...

I am in love with your photos for this post, lovely.

Tia said...

yay! you made it! they look cute and delicious and perfect.

TeaLady said...

Love how these are completly closed i like a giant filled cookie. As a cranberry 'liker' these were perfect. But I can understand your distress. This one is wonderfully versatile so you can fill it w/whatever you want!!!

And they dod look beautiful.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

glad you ended up making it, too. btw, i am happy to take on your allotment of cranberries--i love them! :)

Jessica said...

I was giggling all the way through your post -- it's too cute. I often think of those excuses not to bake, and as far as I'm concerned each and every on is valid. That said, I'm delighted you made this with raspberries. My dad is dying to try out a raspberry version, and now I know it works! Thanks for mustering up the get-go to bake with me this week! I know it can be hard to overcome in the dark and dreary days at this time of year.

Cakelaw said...

Yum! Rasberry jam is a fab replacement - and I heart raspberries more than any other fruit/berry.

Flourchild said...

Very cute mini cakes and I love your choice of fillings. I am going to try the apple filling next time I make it!

Mary Ann said...

Raspberry sounds like a good sub for the cranberry. They can still give that tart goodness. I love your mini!

Judy said...

We are cranberry lovers here, anytime of the year. But, I think it's great that you can substitute other fruits and jams for the filling, so this dessert can work for anyone.

Kris Ngoei said...

Leave the cranberries to me then, you have done a great job with this week's recipe :-)

Sawadee from Bangkok,
Kris

A Canadian Foodie said...

Great improv and gorgeous pics. I love raspberries. Love them and can never get enough of them. Your recipe looks like a hit to me!
:)
valerie

Unknown said...

Love those little cakelets. I love cranberries, but I have to pace myself this time of year, or else I'm sick of them by the time Thanksgiving rolls around. Raspberry was a great choice.