Thursday, August 19, 2010

Peach and mascarpone cupcakes (Bake-N-Blog)

Just try to tell me that's not the happiest looking cupcake you've ever seen! A few weeks ago, my friend Anne-Marie of 10 Rooms sent me a link to a Bake-N-Blog event hosted by Staci, over at Staci Edwards Design. It seems that Staci had fallen in love with Ming Makes Cupcakes and wanted to make all of the cupcakes on her site, but thought that 33 batches might be too many. So, she enlisted blogland to choose a cupcake and post about it today. I had a hard time deciding which one to make, and couldn't choose between the chocolate beet and the parsnip one. I thought folks might ignore the humble root vegetables in favour of the more glamourous ones. And then I saw this one, slathered in mascarpone cheese and whipped cream. Sorry, root vegetables. 
Of course, being mesmerized by the possibility of putting an entire tub of mascarpone on cupcakes made me overlook the fact that these cupcakes had 2 ingredients I don't even like that much: apricots and sour cream. Sour cream baked in cakes is fantastic but I hate the smell and having to touch it! I used thick yogurt instead, and replaced the apricot jam with homemade peach preserve (just peaches and sugar, cooked). I put a heaping tablespoonful in each cupcake, but the cupcakes ate it, so they don't look a lot like Ming's. They are smiling, though, so that was a bonus.
I took a half dozen of these over to my friend P's house for dinner, where I had the most delicious risotto. The teenager in the house refused to try them, on the basis of the peaches, and the 3 year old licked up the icing only. My 2-year-old nephew demolished one in seconds flat after I picked the almonds off. I ate a couple myself, and I thought they were very tasty. 

Peach and mascarpone cupcakes (cupcake 18)
Adapted from Ming Makes Cupcakes

1 cup flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
½ cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
½ teaspoon almond extract
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup full-fat, thick yogurt or sour cream
peach, apricot, or any thick preserves. I think rhubarb would be wonderful, but I'm a rhubarb addict, and saving the last of my jam, so I won't know till next spring.

Preheat oven to 350℉. Line a cupcake tin with 12 paper liners. Sift flour, salt and soda together and set aside. Cream butter and sugar and then beat in egg and extracts. Add the yogurt. Batter will look curdled, but don't worry--it'll come together when you add the flour. Add dry ingredients and mix gently. Fill liners ⅓ full, then top with a tablespoon or so of preserves. Top with remaining batter. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Mine did not have a domed top, and neither did the originals, so don't worry if they look a bit fallen. More room for mascarpone! Cool, then top with:

8 ounces mascarpone
½ cup whipping cream
½ cup icing sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat all frosting ingredients together until soft peaks form. Dollop on cupcakes and top with toasted sliced almonds. Keep refrigerated.

These were fantastic--enjoy!

24 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your happy cupcakes! They make me smile! I bet they taste delicous as well!

Spearmint Baby said...

they look amazing! be sure to add your post to my MckLinky list for Bake-N-Blog participants on spearmintbaby.com today! shari

Sally said...

Yours look fantastic! i too participated, and had the best time. Happy baking x

Staci Edwards said...

Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed the Bake-N-Blog!
Your cupcakes look too beautiful to eat!
It was lovely "meeting" you, and thanks for joining in the fun!
Staci

Molly Page said...

You're so right! Those are the happiest cupcakes.

I'm in awe of your ability to "adapt" a recipe with such ease. I'm just not there yet. But, hopefully someday!

Can't wait to try them out for myself.

Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy said...

Those are the happiest looking cupcakes I've ever seen! Great job!!

DesignTies said...

I've never seen smiling cupcakes before -- awesome!! :-) They ARE the happiest cupcakes ever!! And I bet they taste as good as they look, especially with those huge heaps of icing!! :-)

Kelly (cupcake #32)

Angela said...

Those look fabulous! How much sugar do you use per pound of peaches to make preserves?

Angela (cupcake #7)

Laurie @ Simply Scratch said...

Mary these look delicious!! I love that you used peach preserves! Well done!!

Mimi said...

This look totally delicious.
Mimi

Jacqueline Sears said...

Oh, they do look happy! And I want to eat them with their cream tops and peachy insides! They look fabulous! Perfect for afternoon tea.

Christine @ the Glam Blog via decorbychristine said...

Wow....those are real happy cupcakes....so happy to be bitten into! Your cupcakes look utterly amazing...great job!! I baked #24!!
Christine aka @Glamamama on twitter

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

They look perfect! Thanks for sharing.

xo,
cristin
(cupcake #8)

Anne @ Flour Box Bakery said...

Those are so happy! How cute! I'm a first time reader and LOVE your blog's name. Super great!

Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Very happy, looks great & tasty

judy said...

Well, don't those look tasty (except for the peaches part). Looks like a good use for some of my apricot jam! thanks Mary
j

Tricia said...

Oh my goodness!! I think that I now have to try both your version and Ming's. They look heavenly (and very happy ;)

XO*Tricia (#14)

Joy Moxley said...

What bright cupcakes! Love the photos and am drooling on my keyboard. Will have to try this one :)

Sara said...

Your cupcakes look amazing...my husband is drooling over your photos.

I guess I will be making these beauties sooner rather than later.

Sara - Cupcake #32

Natalie said...

Mary Mary, your cupcakes are beautiful! Mine were a total fail. I'll have to try this recipe instead! :)

Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz said...

Just a gorgeous cupcake...and the smile is hilarious. If you put one in front of me I would devour it too.

Valérie said...

Smiling cupcakes! Love it!

Anonymous said...

They were delicious! And the 3 year old tried to lick the icing off another one but we rescued it from him and enjoyed it ourselves! Thanks again!

Kristen's Paintings said...

They look delicious! And you have some good photography here too.