Tuesday, May 4, 2010

TWD: Burnt sugar ice cream (sandwiches)


I usually only eat ice cream a couple of times a year, when I'm visiting Toronto. That's the home of Greg's, where you can find fabulous flavours such as cardamom, roasted marshmallow, and sweet cream. Sweet cream is my favourite: it's so fresh-tasting, and is like vanilla without the vanilla. Anyway, even though I'm not a big ice cream fan, I was excited about this recipe. I have an ice cream maker I bought when I was a teenager (I was weird like that), and I haven't used it since I moved away from Toronto in 2006. In fact, I've probably only used it a dozen times in all the years I've had it. The last ice cream I made was corn, with the freshest corn from my aunt and uncle's farm. And, yes, it was delicious.

This ice cream was simple in flavour, with no Dorie mix-ins, which I really liked. It was just sugar, caramelized, eggs yolks, milk, cream and vanilla. The custard tasted fantastic, with a slightly bitter undertone from the burnt sugar, so I knew the ice cream would be good. I decided to sandwich it in between some graham crackers, mostly because I loved the graham crackers I made in January, and was looking for a reason to make them again. They have a slight burnt sugar taste of their own, from all the honey and brown sugar, so I thought they'd go nicely together. Oh, and while I may never go for a bowl of ice cream at home, I can't resist those cheap ice cream sandwiches. There's always a box in the freezer at my brother's, at least when I get there, if not when I leave.

This week's pick was chosen by Becky of Project Domestication, so she'll have the recipe for the ice cream posted. You can find the graham cracker recipe here. I wouldn't advise using the pastry flour, as the dough is soft and sticky with all-purpose. Oh, and they certainly don't take 25 minutes to bake in my oven. 10-15 is more like it, especially as I didn't want them too crisp.

UPDATE: The graham crackers got a bit soft and cakey after being in the freezer overnight--perfect! Oh, and how did I make them? After churning the ice cream, I froze some of it in a shallow pan lined with plastic wrap. I used the same cutters to cut the ice cream, then I just sandwiched it between 2 frozen graham crackers and wrapped them with some waxed paper and origami paper. I froze them between each step, but this ice cream melts really quickly, and it was a warm day. They were at their best after at least 24 hours in the freezer, as they were impossible to eat before the crackers softened a bit. Once they did, though, they were perfect--very caramelly!

26 comments:

vibi said...

I too thought this ice cream was so great it was worth the special attention. Making it extra special by adding a few steps, into sandwiches was a really nice touch!

Leslie said...

These look fantastic! I never thought of making ice cream sandwiches so you've opened up a whole new way to look at this one.

Jules Someone said...

That looks delicious! I may have to make those graham crackers... I have a great recipe for cardamom ice cream if you are interested.

judy said...

Lookin' good Mary - and I really like the wrappers!

Judy

Tia said...

these would be so perfect at a summer party! and upscale summer party. they are delicate and beautiful

Unknown said...

gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, Mary! Homemade graham crackers and ice cream sandwiches wrapped up so pretty. Way to make the rest of us (those like me anyway) look bad. Just kidding. Great job!

Erin said...

Your ice cream sandwiches are so cute. I've been thinking about making homemade graham crackers for some time now, so I'm glad to know you have a good recipe.

Valerie Gamine said...

I can only imagine how amazing this ice cream was with graham crackers. Beautiful photos! And I love that you held on to that ice cream maker. :)

Pamela said...

Wow...those are some of the most attractive ice cream sandwiches I have ever seen! Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Gee Mary, those ice cream sandwiches are just too pretty to eat! I've never even had home made graham crackers before, don't they just come in the box? HAH! Are those the graham crackers with your blog name on them in your 'About Me' section? Soo cool!

Mary said...

Yes, they are the same graham crackers in the blog header and about me sections. I'm a bit obsessed with them!

Valérie said...

They look stunning, Mary! And that flavour sounds delicious!

Cherine said...

Those look irresistible!!

Nickki said...

Wow. I have never seen such pretty ice cream sandwiches! Great job!

Lot-O-Choc said...

Oh wow your ice cream sandwiches look delicious, i really want to have a go of making ice cream, it looks like so much fun :).

Cathy said...

Your ice cream sandwiches are beautiful! What a perfect way to enjoy this yummy ice cream!

Anonymous said...

This would be great with graham crackers! Now you have me thinking about the cheap ice cream sandwiches - they're so good!

Rambling Tart said...

Ohhh, burnt sugar ANYTHING is amazing, but burnt sugar ice cream?! HEAVENLY! :-)

TeaLady said...

OOO!!! Ice cream sandwiches. Perfect.

It does melt pretty quickly, doesn't it.

Amber Marie said...

Oh these look so good! I made basil ice cream a while back and it was sooo good! But I had a hard time getting others to try it. I can't imagine corn ice cream!

Eyes Bigger Than Belly said...

Oh my gosh... this is a reason I am buying an ice cream machine... YUM!!!

Heather Davis said...

Oh wow Mary these look amazing! I love ice cream sandwiches. Will definitely have to be making these. I wonder if it would be good with vanilla ice cream too?

Nichicakes said...

Oh i bet this was perfection!

The Cooking Ninja said...

ooh...I love your ice cream. I can see my whole family finishing it in seconds. :D Love your pic ! Beautiful!

mike said...

Ok - these are a work of art - truly. How wonderful - they look so delightful wrapped like that. I loved this recipe and so glad you did too!