Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Rhuberry raspbarb crumble


Did you know that buckwheat and rhubarb are related? Not sure where I learned that, but when I saw this crumble using buckwheat and almonds I knew it would have to wait till rhubarb season. It was worth it!
Since I am down to the green rhubarb I added a handful of raspberries to the filling for their gorgeous colour. This is a super simple recipe, and it was so delicious--very tart fruit with a sweet topping. I bet it would be lovely with cream or ice cream, but I enjoyed it all by itself. The topping is more sandy than crisp, so I may add a handful of oats next time, or just squeeze it together so it's chunkier.
Here's my take on the recipe linked above, from Cannelle et Vanille:

Preheat oven to 350℉/180℃. Line a baking sheet with parchment, unless you like cleaning up boiled-over fruit goo. 

220 grams rhubarb, sliced or diced
80 grams raspberries (I used frozen)
1 teaspoon vanilla or extrait antillais (vanilla, tonka bean, sapote, mace)
50 grams sugar
10 grams cornstarch

Mix together and divide amongst small ramekins. I got 3 using these amounts. Remember that the rhubarb will slump dramatically, so fill them to near the top.

Combine in a food processor

50 grams buckwheat flour
50 grams almond flour (I used sliced almonds and saved some to sprinkle on top)
50 grams sugar
a pinch of salt

Add 50 grams of cold, unsalted butter, cut in cubes, and process until crumbs form, but it should not come together!

Sprinkle over the fruit and bake for 30 minutes, or until fruit just starts to bubble over. Let cool for at least 10 seconds before devouring.


13 comments:

Jill @ Jillicious Discoveries said...

These look so YUMMY!! I love these flavor combinations--perfect for a rainy day like we have today. :)

M. said...

OMG! I got instantly hungry!!! I love rhubarb, so this looks just mouthwatering to me....
nice additions of buckwheat and almond flour... :)

RamblingTart said...

What pretty little ramekins!! This is a beautiful dessert, so rustic and homey. :-) I love that you used buckwheat. It's one of my favorite things lately. :-)

Lot-O-Choc said...

Mmm wow this looks delicious, my dad would adore this he loves rhubarbs!

A Canadian Foodie said...

Mary - Mary!
This is a go-to Alberta Prairie recipe from waaaaaaayyyyy back. YUM. Reminds me of my mom and Sunday dinners in the late summer on a rainy day. And cuddles by the rainy window singing songs together before bed - and wearing rubarb leaves as hats with cherry earrings!
(Hope you get a subscribe by e-mail plug in so I don't miss a post)
:)
Valerie

Melissa said...

Very yummy. I can definitely eat a whole bowl of it.

creampuff said...

That is a gorgeous use of rhubarb!

Mimi said...

Rhubarb and raspberries, how delcious.
Mimi

Paula said...

This looks like my mom's favorite rhubarb recipe--only much better. You're taking me down memory lane.

judy said...

Those raspberry/rhubarb crisps are the bomb! I made them yesterday to much acclaim - thanks Mary

Judy

Mary said...

Glad to hear it, Judy! I'm out of rhubarb, but I think I'll be using this topping on lots of other fruit this summer.

Anonymous said...

I have been working my way through you rhubarb recipes and I think I am falling in love with rhubarb. You have done a great job of making it, in different and delicious looking ways.

On my way, to the next recipe.

megan said...

OMG! I got instantly hungry!!! I love rhubarb, so this looks just mouthwatering to me....
nice additions of buckwheat and almond flour... :)