Monday, May 23, 2011

Oatmeal Nutmeg Scones

I was so happy that the May picks for Tuesdays with Dorie had lots of breakfast recipes. 
Scones are so tasty, and I can usually find the time to make them. I had noticed at this recipe before, but this was the kick in the pants I needed to actually make it. Nutmeg is a favourite spice, though I find it works better in a background role than as a star, so I was curious to see how these would turn out. I decreased the sugar a bit and was generous with the freshly grated nutmeg, and these were a winner. As always, they were best when still warm, and I ate them plain. Cooled scones have no appeal for me, so I didn't touch them after they had cooled down--I gave them away to someone less fussy than me. I do still have a few unbaked in the freezer for a leisurely morning, but that may have to wait a bit. This is a busy month for work, and I am now another year older, so I am slowing down.
;)
Actually, I'm pretty tired after a long weekend and thinking that 5 straight days of kindergarten is going to make baking a challenge. See you on Friday with the Daring Baker's Challenge, as I've got that one made and eaten! Oh, and for the scone recipe, go and visit Patricia at Life with a Whisk.

10 comments:

Miss T said...

YUM! cant wait to see your DB!!! Ive missed it! I am fully prepared for Junes DC though. Cant wait.
Keep calm and breathe
T x

Cindy said...

I too love warm scones, but I also like them nuked for a very few seconds. I have some in the freezer for company this weekend. I love it when I'm actually ahead of the game.
Have a great week.
I had to be your 100th follower!

Valerie Gamine said...

I'm so behind on this month's TWD recipes (I don't know how you keep up with the Daring Cookes, Daring Bakers, and Tuesdays with Dorie.)

These scones looks fabulous!! :)

Judy said...

They look so delicious. We loved these at any temperature. I understand about the work load. Trying to fit in baking/cooking is challenging at the moment; commenting is even more difficult.

Anonymous said...

Your scones look delicious. I'm excited to see what you have in store for Daring Bakers!

Flourchild said...

I love my scones warm too! I love the way your oatmeal shows through the scones! I loved these too, their amazing!

Mimi said...

I'm with you I like my scones warm too. They do look tasty.
Mimi

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

Happy Birthday if I read correctly. Totally unusual to make nutmeg the star, must be interesting indeed!

Nicole said...

I don't usually make scones because I would want to deliver them warm and that doesn't happen when you take things to work!

I added dried apples to mine and they were good. I should have added more nutmeg.

TeaLady said...

Scones are my all time favorite treat. (Along with English Muffins!) And these were so good with the nutmeg. Defintely making these often!!!

Look perfect!!