Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Maple Cornmeal Biscuits

A very late TWD post today: I got home from a rough day at work yesterday with a terrible sore throat and sinuses, fell asleep and woke up ... 12 hours later, still wearing my scarf! Feeling a lot better, though, but had to run out the door again. Today was a much better day. It really depends which school you go to as a substitute teacher, and there's not so much work that we can be choosy. 
Anyway, I couldn't believe it when the May recipes for Tuesdays with Dorie were posted. I thought I had broken up with cornmeal pretty definitively after the cornmeal shortbread, but here it was again. Never one to hold a grudge, I thought I'd give it one more chance. Dorie even recommended using the dreaded stone-ground for this recipe. I used half stone-ground and half regular cornmeal, and I have to admit that these were very tasty right out of the oven. I did eat them very gingerly, as I had fears of cracking (another) filling. I liked the taste, and ate a couple plain, but I didn't care for them the next morning. I couldn't really taste the maple, but I did like the cornmeal flavour, and will be taking the finely ground stuff for another spin soon. Lindsay over at A Little Something...Sweet has the recipe for you, and it's an easy one. As always, check out the TWD site for all the variations. 

12 comments:

Valerie Gamine said...

Like a bad penny, that cornmeal is. :D
Your biscuits look delicious and soft!
I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better, it's never fun to be sick in May.

Pamela said...

I wanted more maple flavor, too. We didn't end up eating the left overs, but we enjoyed them fresh from the oven. They look good, though!

Chaya said...

Yours is a richer color than most of ours and I like it.

Nicole said...

Yes, these don't have much maple flavor, which I wanted to be more prominent. I used regular cornmeal and I don't think I would have wanted anything rougher!

TeaLady said...

Maple flavor was very subtle. Would like to try them again, with different cornmeal and more maple.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're feeling better. These look great!

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

They do look wonderful but for shame they had to subtle a maple flavor. Seems like everyone skipped on the leftovers.

Baking Addict said...

hope you're feeling better! These look delicious!

Cakelaw said...

Hope you are feeling better now. Your biscuits look delicious, even if you found the cornmeal to be a turnoff.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

glad you and cornmeal have made up. these were tasty when they were fresh and warm.

Unknown said...

I too was worried about my teeth before I tried one - but somehow the cornmeal actually worked here! I could have used a little more maple flavor too. Hope you are on the mend!

cakeflower said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. Yours look fabulous. Thanks for baking along with me.