Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Brown butter pumpkin birthday cake

The little one, for O
I'm finally back home! I was hoping to have something yummy and seasonal to share with you, but who am I kidding? There's not much seasonal in my neck of the woods these days. I raided my mother's freezer and made rhubarb crisp with the last of the frozen stuff, but I didn't get any pictures. It wasn't the most picturesque dessert anyway, even though it was very tasty. Instead, I bring you pumpkin cake! I made this cake for 2 friends' birthdays, one in November and one in March. The first one, in November, was a half recipe baked in 6" cake pans. The second was the full recipe. Both times I made extra frosting, because you really don't want to skimp on the cream cheese and browned butter goodness.
The big one, for M
This is a rich cake, best served in small slices. Make sure the frosting is at room temperature for spreading and serving, as you can see how it wasn't as smooth in the top picture. Sorry, no cut photos this time: these left my kitchen and only the cake plates came back, eventually. Because I am lazy actually made these according to the recipe, I am linking it here. Okay, I might have added a teaspoon of baking powder and browned all the butter at once and used butternut squash for one of them. The extra baking powder definitely helped lighten the cake a bit, as I forgot it for the second version and it was much denser. Also, for the second cake I didn't strain out the browned bits in the butter, thinking they would add extra texture to the frosting. They did, but it also looks like my frosting is full of crumbs. Do as I say, not as I do. The last little change was that I didn't put any nuts between the layers, but piled them all on top. 
Whatever changes you make, this is an absolutely fabulous cake, and one of my new favourites. It may not be spring-y, but there's a butternut squash on my counter that's tempting me to make this again. For me this time.
:)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an amazing looking cake! Welcome back!

Valerie Gamine said...

It must feel good to be home again! Mary, this cake looks so so delicious (I'm a total brown butter addict.) Brilliant idea to leave it unstrained, the more butter the better!
I'm so happy to hear that you were reunited with rhubard! Good times. :D

Gloria Baker said...

I love your cake look amazing! gloria

Unknown said...

Where is my slice? No doubt, all gone. It looks perfect to me.

Miss T said...

I'll pay for postage!
Miss T
xx

A Canadian Foodie said...

Welcome home! Where have you been - I have been awol for FAR TOO LONG... but I am so glad to be back. Where did you go, really? I love pumpkin and I love brown butter so this cake would definitely be a winner at my house. And, I love how pretty and homemade, yet classy it looks!
YUM, and I have truly missed you!
:)
valerie

Rambling Tart said...

Oh this looks scrumptious, Mary! Welcome back!!! :-)

Julia @Mélanger said...

This is so funny, because only on Tuesday I was thinking about baking something with brown butter. And here I am. Fate? Perhaps.

This looks amazingly rich and delicious. Not sure I could stick to the recommended small slice though. :)

Lea said...

This looks so great! Love the simple icing. I would have loved to see the inside of it!

Valérie said...

Welcome back! That cake does look rich, I love the thick icing!

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

Welcome back! Brown butter cake is so yumm and pumpkin just makes cakes so moist, sounds amazing. Now go do the maple mousse at least, with walnuts ;-)

TeaLady said...

MMMmmmmm!!! Want some.