Monday, October 11, 2010

TWD: Fold-over pear torte

This week's recipe was chosen by Cakelaw, of Laws of the Kitchen. Um, I don't think that's her real name, but she's a lawyer, from Australia, who likes to cook. Now lest you think I don't know anything other than I could glean from her public profile, I know she's a great cook, and she belongs to TWD and the Daring Bakers. Laws of the Kitchen is always one of the first blogs I visit on posting days, as I'm very curious and impatient, and Cakelaw's Antipodean time zone means I get a sneak peek a good half a day before I have to post. But, that means I can get a bit anxious when my creations look nothing like hers. That's the case this week...
I made this the night before I moved, and didn't have much to choose from in springform pans. I made it in a 9.5" one instead of an 8" one, meaning my crust didn't come very far up the sides. So, I had very little room for the custard filling. I did bake the extra up in 2 small custard cups and it was delicious. I used figs instead of apricots, because that's what I had. The pictures were taken on the back lawn the next morning in a very great hurry, as I knew my brother was arriving to help me move any second. Unfortunately I didn't get to try this the day I baked it, as Dorie recommended, but it was a nice post-move treat. 
I'm mostly unpacked, but STILL haven't baked anything in the oven in my new place, and the longer I wait, the harder it is to decide what to make. Suggestions, please!

19 comments:

Jencrafted said...

Looks mighty good to me! I'm on the fence, haven't decided if I can make this one. Congrats on your new place and I think the Swedish Welcome Cake (ok, I know that's not the name, but close enough) would be great. A breeze to make, no need to unpack that electric mixer and so, so good!

Pamela said...

Looks great! I didn't get to this one, so I'm excited to check out all of the blogs to see how it turned out for every one. Nice job!

tammy said...

this looks delicious - it's funny how everyone cane bake the same recipe and it looks totally different. mine looked different again!

Valerie Gamine said...

Mary, yours looks so symmetrical and healthy! Especially for not having had the right pan size (who has an 8-inch springform?)
Yum, that slice is just bursting with chunky pieces of fruit and nuts. Nice work!
p.s. I cheat on Cakelaw's blog too! It's so nice to have a preview. :~)

Judy said...

Who's to say what this torte is supposed to look like? I think yours looks mighty delicious.

I second the suggestion about the Swedish Visiting Cake. It's one of my favorites, and a good way to christen your new place.

natalia said...

Dear Mary your torte looks magnificent I can't believe you had the courage to bake it on the verge of moving ! TYou get extra points for this ! I hope everything is settled !

Cakelaw said...

I admire your dedication for making this the night before you moved! One of the great things about all baking together is that everyone's can look different and still be good. Yours looks delicious - and love the golden top. Thanks for baking along with me!

cocoa and coconut said...

I think this was a great recipe to choose. Really fabulous texture and flavours.

Valérie said...

This looks awfully good! I'll have a large slice, please!
I'm glad your move is mostly over. As for what to baptize your oven with... how about a savoury tart or a quiche? 'Tis the time for comfort food!

Flourchild said...

It looks perfect to me. Mine was a flop but good!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

It's lovely! Hope your move went smoothly! :)

mike said...

Mary - I didn't eat mine until the next day either and thought it was wonderful. Beautiful torte - and best of luck on the move!

Tia said...

good luck!

yours makes me wanna peel off that lovely caramelly brown top layer. mmmmmmmm

judy said...

Today's suggestion: lemon squares. Easy, delicious, and can be baked just about anywhere.

judy

Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz said...

Love pears in a sweet form. I am always messing around with spring form sizes too but I like yours lower like that. Cool you moved finally! I would say sugar sponge lol but no oven needed, just a stove top

alice said...

You should make bread. Nothing says welcome to shone like the smell of freshly baked bread!

Ms. Meanie said...

The tart looks delicious Mary! and it's very fitting for fall.

Hmm...so what to make. I feel like I'm asking myself that every weekend. How about cinnamon rolls with a caramel topping. Classic comfort food and it'll make your place smell great. :)

TeaLady said...

Looks just right. And it was tasty. Congrats on your new place.

I think you would be happy baking anything to break in your new kitchen.

Brittany said...

Mary,

I love your rustic torte! It looks like the pear-fect fall dessert. Thanks for sharing the pear love! Check us out sometime at www.usapears.org.

Happy baking!
Your friends at USA Pears