Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Apple pie!

Okay, if there were an award for lame posts, I'd surely win it with this one.   Even though apple is my favourite kind of pie, and I could quite easily give up all other pies for apple (if such draconian measures were ever necessary),  I didn't love it as much as my usual apple pie, or as much as mom's apple pie. I made this pie in September, so I can't remember what kind of apples I used, but I piled them high in the crust. Once baked, the crust was still high, but the apples had all shrunk to a thin layer, leaving me with more of an air pie than an apple pie. This was probably my fault, as I hate crunchy apples in pie and tend to make very thin slices. This pie was very lemony, which I liked, but, like the pumpkin pie, it's not going to replace my usual recipe. It's funny that the last two picks have been for pies that I love and I haven't done so well with them. Must try harder. I wanted to make a mini pie with some crust I have left over, but the wacky world of substitute teaching is busy this week. I had an early morning call yesterday, and am booked for today and tomorrow as well. I'll be back on Wednesday with the Daring Bakers' reveal, though. :)
Tall pie, plopped on front step for quick photo.
This week's recipe was chosen by Emily over at Sandmuffin, so click on over to her site for the recipe. As always, visit the TWD page to see the rest of the tasty links.

18 comments:

Judy said...

I love apple pies, too. But, I hate the big Empty space, so I usually cook my apples before putting them in the crust. That way I get more apples, less emptiness. Love your crust decoration!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} said...

This is hardly lame Mary! Apple pie is the best... next to rhubarb of course!

Cakelaw said...

Your pie looks so lovely and tall! The apples were fooling you - oh well, a lovely pie, nonetheless.

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

I love how tall your pie it even if it was more of an air pie... I have a recipe I like better than this one too...

Jules Someone said...

I had a pie cavern as well. I think the solution is more apples, or, cook the apples first. That way they'll shrink less. Looks delicious!

Linda said...

I had the same gap between the top crust and filling.

Gap or no gap, your pie looks beautiful with that perfectly golden brown crust.

Di said...

Sorry to hear that this one didn't turn out the way you wanted. Your pie still looks beautiful. I have to admit, the shrinking apple problem is one of the reasons I like crumbs on top of pie instead of crust. =)

TeaLady said...

Had same problem with apples. 1/2 apple 1/2 air. Was good tho.

And as with you, won't replace my go to, but will be an alternate.

Emily Rose said...

Thanks for baking along with me this week! I'm also pretty sure that I'll go back to my old standard apple pie, this one did seem quite lemony! Your pie looks beautiful though!

Jessica said...

Air pie?? You might have hit on the next diet craze! Haha. It was pretty though!

Flourchild said...

Im not seeing lame..Im seeing deliciousness!

Valerie Gamine said...

Beautiful, Mary!
I'm developing some crust-envy as I look at your pefect pie.

RamblingTart said...

Oh Mary, your crust is beautiful!! I used to make pies all the time but now that I live alone I just never get around to it. :-) Hmm, maybe I could make some MINI ones! Yes! I shall! You've inspired me. :-)

Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz said...

Lame? In think not, looks great. I suck at pies.

Bella Baker said...

well your pie sure looks beautiful! Sorry it wasn't a winner for you though. you will have to post your fave apple pie recipe! I love apple pie!

Jencrafted said...

You have a really beautiful pie there. I love the color on the crust. Mine has empty space underneath the domed crust as well; should've used another couple apples maybe?

Beth said...

I can't believe you do two groups and teach too. I thought your pie looked beautiful. If only I could bake a pie so nice...B

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Oh i have to bake this one soon for baking with Dorie and am so happy to find this post here!