Tuesday, September 28, 2010

TWD: Tarte Fine


Today’s oh-so-fine tart was selected by Leslie of Lethally Delicious. She always has gorgeous stuff on her blog, so pay her a visit for the recipe. I wonder if she figured out a way to incorporate chocolate in this recipe… I never leave my TWD baking till the last minute, well almost never, cause I did this week. And, wouldn’t you know it, today was the grimmest, greyest, rainiest day in a series of grim, grey, rainy days. So, I feel I didn’t do justice to this week’s pick, but it was still delicious, and I’ll be making it again and again, maybe even with rhubarb for Valerie's birthday! ;)
In my defence, I did use homemade puff pastry and crab apple jelly. The puff pastry was a bit tired, though, having been hanging around for a while and in a few different freezers through the trials and tribulations of yet another Mary Mary move. Let’s just say I’m looking forward to Saturday, when I can officially stop living out of a suitcase, after 3 months of it. Oh, the tart! Along with old puff pastry, I didn’t read the directions very closely, so I sliced the apple quarters crossways and neglected to leave a border around the edge. I put extra butter and sugar on top but not underneath, skipped the egg wash, blasted the apples with my torch after baking for extra browning and glazed generously with the crab apple jelly. Then I marched it out to the sheltered front step to catch the few rays of light that could penetrate the pelting rain, for a photo. Then the whole thing disappeared. Weird, eh? I think I’ll go have a little lie-down now.

25 comments:

Cakelaw said...

Your tart looks great Mary - crab apple jelly sound swnderful. I can empathise with (a) moving (in which I generally bin my hard made patry dough); and (b) grey days - we had sun here today but it was as cold as ice anyway.

chocolatechic said...

I love the idea of the crab apple jelly.

3 months in a suitcase? Wow. You have the patience of a Saint.

Peggy said...

I think your tart looks fabulous Mary. I would love a slice of it right now!! I just totally messed mine up I think. I'd rather have a good apple crisp myself, but that's just me.

Valerie Gamine said...

:p You know, this would be quite delicious with rhubarb, but what wouldn't be good on top of puff pastry?

Your tarte looks fine (pardon the pun) to me! I wish I had used more apples, it looks so much healthier. I feel your pain about the weather. It was a dismal day when I made mine and my point & shoot was as gloomy as the sky.

Congrats on ditching the suitcase!

f/v stands for fishing vessel ( I had to look it up the first time I heard it too.) :-D

Jeannette said...

I almost thought that you made a pineapple version when I saw the pictures!

Kudos to you for having tackled puff pastry (even if you can't remember how long ago) as I have yet to grow the proverbial balls. ;)

Suz said...

That looks so good! Perfect eating for a miserable day. It's much the same here. I might have to make one of these too .. I love the rows of thinly-sliced apple. Very pretty!

3 months leaving out of a suitcase?! You poor thing. Roll on Saturday!

Leslie said...

Your tart seriously looks like perfection to me. Even though you had no light, your pictures are still beautiful! I really intended to tackle puff pastry but ran out of time so I'm doubly impressed that you made this one while living out of a suitcase. Congrats on an end to your nomadic life and thanks for baking with me this week!

Unknown said...

well it looks so very very nice

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

This looks wonderful. I am impressed with your homemade puff pastry and jelly. Your earned your credits.

Cristine said...

Sounds great with the crab apple jelly!

Cindy said...

I have yet to make homemade puff pastry. It is on 'the list'!

Di said...

Wow. I hope life settles down for you soon. =) I think your tart looks delicious.

Flourchild said...

I actully forgot the jelly, but it was still good! Your tart looks so amazing! I can see it sitting on a fall decroated table with pumpkins and apple cider!

Unknown said...

it looks huge! and the crab apple jelly sounds amazing... great job :)

tasteofbeirut said...

I was planning to make an apple tart and found your post! Lovely tart , but I may have to postpone the homemade puff pastry bit; it is still too hot and humid these days in Beirut.

Katrina said...

I hate it when things disappear like that. ;) Great tart.

Joyti said...

Homemade puff pastry! I bet yours tasted better than all of those frozen puff pastry based ones.

Liz said...

Ooh, crab apple jelly. I've never had it but it sounds delicious! I'm also drooling at the thought of your rainy day, as it's been bloody hot in LA this week. Nevertheless, rain, sun, tired puff pastry, or what have you, this tart is pretty much perfect no matter the circumstances!

natalia said...

Dear mary Your tarte is great to me and I hope that you are more settled and under the sun !!

Judy said...

I'll trade you my 100+ degree weather for your gray and rain, ok? Crab apple jelly sounds like a nice change from apricot. To me, your tarte looks great.

Cherine said...

Sounds wonderful with the crab apple jelly!

Mimi said...

The crab apple jelly was a nice touch. Your tart looks perfect.
Mimi

Jacque said...

Oh my, you poor thing with the moving and the rainy days. Your tarte certainly looks like it must have cheered things up though. It looks wonderful!

Karen said...

Beautiful tart! And the crab apple jelly is a nice touch. Looks delicious!

Hindy said...

I love the way this tart turned out, both homey and elegant. Crab apple jelly is a fav here too.