Tuesday, September 7, 2010

TWD: Peanut butter and bacon cookies

I don't know what came over me yesterday when I was making these. I had no chopped peanuts or chocolate chips, so I thought about what I could add for extra crunch. I haven't had one since university, but I used to enjoy peanut butter on fluffy white bread with extra crispy bacon. So, there you have it. These were actually really good, though I think the recipe yield is way off. I made half a recipe, skipped the chopped peanuts and the salt and replaced them with 6 slices of crisp crumbled bacon. I used a scoop that holds exactly 1 tablespoon, so should have got 20 cookies, according to the recipe. I got 57! Now, they were a dainty size, but they were crisp and delicious, not soft, even when I reduced the baking time substantially. Oh, and like a good Canadian girl, I rolled them in maple sugar, because bacon and maple syrup are a match made in heaven. Everyone loved them, but couldn't identify the mystery ingredient. That didn't stop them from taking seconds! Good thing, because peanuts are not allowed in most elementary schools, and bacon makes them even more offensive. And today's the first day of school--yay!
This recipe was chosen by Jasmine of Jasmine Cuisine. Thanks for an easy to put together pick at a busy time of year. Visit her for the recipe.

31 comments:

chocolatechic said...

I love, love, love peanut butter and bacon sandwiches.

I bet these cookies were out of this world good.

Kimberly Johnson said...

Oh my! The addition of bacon was brilliant! I've heard so much about maple suger - I really need to try some.

Madam Chow said...

What a sinful combination, and I'm wishing I'd thought of it!

Anne-Marie @ 10 Rooms said...

I have never heard of that combo before, but now I've got to try it! Hope you are having a fantastic first day of school Mary - just dropped off my three excited/nervous kiddies..

Peggy said...

Mary I have never heard of peanut butter with bacon. But I love both so I bet I would enjoy the two mixed together. How creative you are! They look delicious.

Valerie Gamine said...

Now I want to remake this recipe with bacon. :D They look delicious!

Anne said...

This is so fun! I love the maple sugar, too! Glad they were a hit!

Jasmine said...

Wow, I love what you did with the recipe! Bacon, what a great idea, and so Canadian indeed... Thanks for baking with me this week!

Jules Someone said...

Seriously yum! Don't show my husband the part about the bacon. I love maple and peanut butter

judy said...

Mary, you are crazy! but in a very delicious way. I think you've discovered the most Canuck cookie ever.

judy

Cindy said...

Bacon could be a good addition. I also thought the yield was way off too. But we had no problem eating them.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

You are one clever dudette. These are terrific.

Jeannette said...

hm, what an interesting combo! i'm not a bacon eater (don't die, haha) but i'm thinking about getting some and freezing it just to throw it in baked goods as i have a lot of men that these treats go to! thanks for the inspiration!

Tia said...

this is the most unexpected version of this week's recipe. i like it!
My version of these is PB and J thumprints. Great job this week!

jIll said...

Bacon. Brilliant!

Jessica said...

OMG that sounds amazing! Especially the addition of maple sugar! Whoa.

Victoria said...

WOW! What amazing cookie recipe with the bacon ! I LOVE IT ! And what delicious idea to rolled them in sugar maple :)I love ALL maple products! It's sure, I'm Canadian ;)

Natalie said...

Mary, why didn't I think of this?? Genius.

Cakelaw said...

Wowee - bacon and maple sugar - that sounds sooooooooo good (and it's breakfast time here!).

Katy said...

Bacon. And maple sugar. Wow! What a creative idea! :)

Jennifer said...

Those cookies are AMAZING!!!!!!

Pamela said...

First of all...maple sugar?!? Yum! And what an evil genius you are with the bacon! :)

Judy said...

What a fabulous combination! All those flavors are so delicious, either separately or together. Although, if I had maple sugar around here, I would probably eat it all, just by itself.

natalia said...

Ciao Mary ! This is certainly a fun twist to the recipe !!!

Anonymous said...

I haven't tried pb and bacon, but it sounds good, especially crumbled bits in this cookie. Mine were crisp too, and I didn't think I baked them that long.

Piggy said...

I've not eaten peanut butter and bacon sandwich before but I'm sure that your cookies must be very yummy! I WILL definitely try out your version next time!

Di said...

Neat idea. I never would have thought to add bacon, but it sounds like it would go well, especially with the maple.

Flourchild said...

Im glad you liked he recipe! Im not sure about the bacon..but I've never tried it either!

Unknown said...

great idea--sounds awesome! i got a ton of cookies too

RamblingTart said...

LOVE that you rolled these in maple sugar!! You made this Canadian girl's heart happy. :-)

Valérie said...

Bacon and peanut butter somehow makes perfect sense to me! The cookies look great, and I bet they tasted amazing!