Tuesday, February 2, 2010

TWD: Milk chocolate mini (not) bundt cakes


Cake is my favourite dessert, so I was so happy that we finally had one to make this week. In fact, I baked 2 weeks' worth of Dorie along with the apple turnovers on Friday. I am going to Montreal for a month's work, so this was my only sure opportunity to bake.
It seems whenever I make one of Dorie's recipes I leave things out. I've never thought of myself of a minimalist, and if you could see the state of my apartment I'm sure you'd agree. Anyway, I left the following out of this recipe:
1. The swirl--I didn't want this to be like coffee cake.
2. The chocolate glaze--seems many of my fellow bakers had trouble with it. I did replace it, though.
3. The holes. I don't own a mini bundt pan.
That's not too many omissions, is it?
I realized I don't even own a muffin tin, as I gave it away a few weeks ago. I do have some 4-ounce ramekins and the batter was the perfect amount to make 8 small cakes.
These weren't bad, but I wish I had replaced the milk chocolate with dark, because I didn't find that they had enough chocolate flavour. They were really good warm with the caramel sauce and a few toasted pecans.

Oh, the caramel sauce: Mmmmmm! I had half a can of condensed milk left in the fridge from these, so I cooked it with about 3/4 of a cup of dark brown sugar, stirring until the sugar melted and then added around 1/2 a cup of half and half and a few tablespoons of butter and simmered until it was thick. After cooling slightly, I added some vanilla. 
This week's recipe was selected by Kristin of I'm Right About Everything, so click on over to her blog for the recipe. You can also see what everyone else came up with by checking out the TWD blogroll.

32 comments:

Paula said...

Caramel sauce. Yum! Didn't think about the streusel being like a coffee cake but I see what you mean. Nice substitution with the ramekins. But how do you live without a cupcake pan? :-)

Pamela said...

Well, that caramel sauce sounds quite delicious! I'm with you on the mild flavor of the cakes. I was expecting more from them. They were just okay for me.

Cathy said...

I took some liberties with this cake myself! I think yours look great - they make pretty little tea cakes. The caramel sauce sounds fabulous - now THAT I need to try!

Anonymous said...

Wow. I skipped the milk chocolate cakes this week, but that caramel sauce sounds AMAZING.

chocolatechic said...

Caramel sauce...you are brilliant!

vibi said...

Very pretty Mary! Love the presentation and the color camaieu of those minis!

Very well done... great changes indeed!

Kayte said...

They look so elegant and lovely with all that drippy glaze, very nice!

Katrina said...

Holy yum, the caramel sounds fabulous. I really thought these needed MORE flavor than just so much milk chocolate. GREAT job and the lil' ramekin size are great!

Jennifer said...

*GASP*

Caramel sauce can't be beat. This looks FABULOUS!

LOVE those ramekins!!!!

Sabrina said...

Those look great!!! I love the caramel sauce idea!!!

Hindy said...

Beautifully done - recipe and photos! If I were going to make this again as a cake, caramel icing would be a wonderful complement.

Valerie Gamine said...

Your versions of these mini cakes are lovely, I love that caramel sauce! Have fun in Montreal. :D

Anonymous said...

Great idea with the caramel sauce... cute cakes! :)

AmyRuth said...

Mary Mary,
You are so resourceful.... and it can even be done with baking. Who knew? All this time I thought it was a science. We have proved them wrong. Right? hehe Your caramel sauce sound way good. I too am a lover of dark chocolate, however I did sample a small shaving off the top of my cake and it was delightfully tender and tasty when warm. I would have to agree. Thanks for stopping by for a visit! You're the best and I hope your month in Montreal is really nice!
AmyRuth

Cindy said...

I like the caramel idea! I went with a semisweet ganache, it was a perfect compliment to the milk chocolate cake. Fun recipe!

miss kate said...

how darling! I'm gonna stand in support of the milk chocolate cake, though :-)

Tia said...

fabulous caramel sauce... and pecans... heavenly!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

The caramel sounds delicious.

I used bittersweet chocolate instead of the milk chocolate. Did not even think about it.

This was a good recipe and yours looks great.

Soy*Baby said...

That caramel sauce looks wonderful. Yummy. Great job.

judy said...

Lookin' good Mary! Not too many substiutions, it's not like your fussing, no, just making some adjustments. And were those plain pecans?

Judy

Mary said...

I don't fuss! Bung something together, throw it in the oven and completely forget about it is more my style! They were plain pecans. I didn't have time to try the sauced cake when I photographed it, as I had to go out, but I put the plate in the oven for 10 minutes or so when I got home--it toasted the pecans and caramelized the sauce even more. Mmmm!

Leslie said...

They look adorable, but I could be under the spell of the caramel, which sounds SO FANTASTIC!

If you're going to Montreal, I have one word for you...bagels. You probably already know this, but Montreal bagels are in a class by themselves.

mike said...

How cute! Permission to sub! All you want! I was surprised at how I enjoyed the milk chocolate (I'm usually a dark chocolate guy). I can tell you enjoyed making them - they look fantastic!

Jacque said...

Mmmm, those look wonderful! good call on the caramel :)

margot said...

I love the photos, they look so cute! The caramel sauce sounds divine, I bet it's good on everything.

natalia said...

Ciao ! How beautiful they look !! I love the shape too !!

Flourchild said...

YUM THESE LOOK GREAT!!

Jencrafted said...

Caramel sauce - now why hadn't I thought of that? Great accompaniment and I'm sure it added that extra punch! Thanks for sharing.

TeaLady said...

UUUMMMMMM!!!!!! Caramel sauce. Sounds perfect. And looks delicious.

Muneeba said...

This is bad ... how can I want this cake so very much, when I'm no longer pregnant, hence can no longer stuff my face without an excuse?!!! Btw, thks for stopping by my blog and sending your best wishes for my new baby boy!

Cherine said...

Sounds delicious... yummyyyyyyy

The Queen of Quite a Lot said...

That caramel sauce sounds excellent! Thanks for baking with me this week!