Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Strawberry Mirror Cake for Poppy

I'm back! Sort of. Well, not really. Hmmm. Not sure. I've been back from Toronto for about 5 days and have spent most of that time hanging out with my niece and nephew. Fun! Except when you are looking after a 3-year-old with some sort of nasty stomach bug and you catch it by the end of the day. What a sorry pair we were by the time his mom got home.
So, I'm not in Montreal, as that was cancelled very last minute. I'm still planning to go for a long weekend, though, as we have tickets to the tennis final (Go Nadal!). With my intermittent internet access I've been trying to sort out another short contract for the end of August and had to spend yesterday getting my passport renewed (oh, the photos are awful--why won't they let you smile?) and shopping for tickets. I do enjoy the search for contracts and plane tickets, though I'm glad I don't have to do it nearly every month, like I did for a few years.
Anyway, that's my excuse for not posting much recently, and for not visiting any of you dear readers. Are there any of you left? More apologies, for the poor photos: I took these at my mother's where the light is either blindingly bright or non-existent. I haven't even got a recent recipe for you--I made this cake in June, when strawberries were at their finest. It's 2 layers of sponge with a kirsch syrup surrounded by strawberry mousse and topped with a fresh strawberry mirror. It was fairly easy, as the components were all quite simple and there was lots of refrigeration time in between. We loved it. And who is Poppy, you may be wondering? She's my niece, who turned one in early July.



15 comments:

Valérie said...

Poppy is a doll! And that cake looks professional! Let us know when you're in Mtl!

Anonymous said...

I'm still here! :) Poppy is adorable!! Did she enjoy that fantastic cake? Hope you have a great time at the tennis final!

Anonymous said...

By the way, Singapore noodles are made with rice vermicelli too. (The real Singapore noodles is not cooked with curry though.) Oversoaking or too much liquid in the seasoning can result in mushy noodles. Hope your next attempt turns out better. :)

Unknown said...

That is one good-looking cake, especially love the flavors and the mirror! And Poppy is such a cute button ;-).

Valerie Gamine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Valerie Gamine said...

No worries, Mary, your readers are not going anywhere...at least not in this heat. :D

Poppy is adorable!! A possible future baker, perhaps?

And this cake is gorgeous!! How on earth do you always manage to get your cakes so even and symmetrical...I really wanna know the trick. Great work!! :-)

Miss T said...

take your index finger and thumb of each hand. Place on babys face. Squuuueeeeze.
CUTE!

Renata said...

Oh Mary, your niece is adorable... so cute!! The cake looks gorgeous, I love the mirror.
Don't worry, I'm still here, do you think you will get rid of me so easily?? ;))

Rambling Tart said...

Poppy is cute as a bug!! :-) I'm glad you're back and hope you have a great rest of your summer. :-)

Beth said...

Hope you enjoy those tennis finals. And your dessert looks wonderful! There's nothing wrong with banking a few desserts and posting them when there's nothing new.

Anonymous said...

That cake looks amazing! Impressive!

Suz said...

Your strawberry mousse cake looks gorgeous. I'll note that one down for next summer. My sister would love it.

Poppy is so cute!

Kate@Diethood said...

Ooooh look at that cutie!! The cake is pretty, too, but Poppy is adorable! :))

Angie's Recipes said...

A very beautiful mirror cake. I love the cute shaped mirror atop.

judy said...

that is one fantastic looking cake Mary! It looks really delicious, and moist!