Sunday, July 17, 2011

Lemon-buttermilk sponge pudding with strawberries

If you are looking for something simple to serve with beautiful summer berries, look no further. These sponge puddings are tart and actually taste of buttermilk, which I can't say of many of the other buttermilk baked goods I make. The texture was like that of a moist baked mousse. I was expecting a layer of cake and a layer of pudding, but that's not what I got and it was a very pleasant surprise. I served these with some of the first local strawberries, and am finally posting it so that you can make it with the last of the strawberries. If local strawberries are finished where you are, don't use those crunchy, white-centred imported ones. Choose another berry or even peaches. Just mix them with a bit of sugar until a syrup forms. Enjoy!
Here's the link to the recipe.

12 comments:

Valerie Gamine said...

Simple and refreshing, perfect for a summer heat wave! :)

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

Totally interesting, as you said too I never had anything that based around the taste of buttermilk! Love it with the berries.

Unknown said...

Great recipe, love the flavors.

Anonymous said...

This cake looks really moist. Sounds delicious!

Suz said...

The texture looks gorgeous! Great photos too. The contrast of the berries and the pudding is lovely.

Valérie said...

Your description and photo (and the fact that I ate very dry sponge cake yesterday) have won me over! I must try this!

Anonymous said...

Your dessert looks lovely. The strawberries photograph so well. :)

Rambling Tart said...

Oh, what a splendid thing to do with berries! I love buttermilk too, but you're right, it rarely shines in the recipes I've tried.

Miss T said...

you're the host! you're the host! so exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
T xx

Anonymous said...

This looks so delicious, Mary. I love buttermilk and don't think it gets the respect that it deserves. Well done. Best, sandie

Laurie {Simply Scratch} said...

This looks REALLY good Mary! Love it!

Taylor said...

I love lemon desserts...especially now when it's so hot! This looks heavenly :)